Why is it important to conduct competitive research and website launch SEO research BEFORE you publish your new site? Because search engine optimization isn’t just keywords and content marketing. To launch a truly optimized site, you have to organize an SEO strategy before you even start to develop your website.
Many clients come to us a few months after launching their new site. Their website is beautiful on the surface, but they’re getting zero traffic and sales. They’ve forgotten to implement the foundational SEO work that will help customers actually FIND their site on Google and other search engines. But don’t fret! It’s never too late to implement good SEO practices on your website.
Here are the key reasons why planning website launch SEO before you publish your site is important. And why you need an SEO audit and competitive research BEFORE you begin web design and development.
Site Architecture & Internal Linking
Google’s army of virtual “spiders” crawl your website and send info back to Google and other search engines. They help rank your content based on how helpful it will be to users. This includes website and url structure, internal and external links, site load speed, keywords, and many other factors. If pages aren’t easy to categorize, they won’t rank quickly. Or at all!
Starting web design and development with competitive research and a preliminary SEO audit helps you to identify where your site can overcome the competition in Google rankings quickly.
An SEO audit supplies you with:
- Overall best practices for great SEO performance on your new website. Because doing things right from the beginning is always easier (and more affordable) than revising your site later.
- The exact keywords and keyword phrases you need on the back end of your site. This includes optimized title tags, meta descriptions, and front-end website copy. Hint: our audits include free implementation, so you won’t have to lift a finger to get your technical keywords where they need to be! Hit us up if you need help. 🤗
- Keywords that your competitors are successfully using to attract traffic and win sales. Plus, strategic advice on how you can start to outrank them for these keywords in Google search results.
- Blog and video content ideas, complete with SEO keyword targets. These often help answer relevant questions your audience is asking about your products and industry and help you rank quickly in search results.
- Suggestions for which pages you should have on your site for best SEO. What should you call certain pages to attract more qualified traffic? How should you structure your site navigation to improve user experience and functionality? A Witty Kitty SEO audit will teach you all this and more.
Mapping out your plan of SEO attack before you build your site is super smart, and will prevent you from having to backtrack later. With SEO, starting out correctly is important because…
It Takes Time to Rank on Google
Search engine marketing is a long play strategy. It doesn’t happen overnight. The age and authority of your domain affect SEO rankings. Generally speaking, it’s easier to rank for a keyword on an older, established domain than a brand new one. This means that if have legit website launch SEO, your site has a better shot at ranking quickly.
That said, remember, Google’s main priority is supplying the best possible answer to a user’s query. Writing kickass SEO content and supporting it by building external links back to your site is always a winning formula—no matter the age and domain authority of your domain.
Your brand new site may be an underdog (or underkitty🐈) in the ranking game, but that doesn’t mean you can’t overcome your biggest competitors with time and solid effort. Create outstanding content that solves users’ problems and contains the right keywords, and you’ll be ranking in no time!
Site Speed Factors into SEO Performance
Another key area business owners trip up is launching a site with lagging speed. Just because it looks pretty doesn’t mean it’s fast. In fact, sites with complex design elements and tons of high-quality images tend to be slower!
A site that takes even just a few seconds to load is an instant turn-off—especially to mobile users. One study shows 85% of mobile users expect sites to load as fast or faster than they do on a desktop. Translation: the load speed of your site matters almost as much as the quality of your website.
To make your site lightning-fast:
- Find the right web hosting package
- Compress images, videos, and downloadable files
- Make sure you are using the best plugins
- Ensure your website is mobile-friendly
The faster your website gives visitors the answers they need, the more likely Google is to reward you with high rankings. So make sure you talk through these factors with your developer when planning website launch SEO!
Site Content Can Help You Rank Quickly
Why save for tomorrow what you could accomplish today? Search engines love websites with keyword-rich content. In fact, Hubspot research showed that sites with 16+ blogs a month see 3.5x the traffic as sites who publish just a few posts a month.
Preparing SEO-optimized copy for core website pages and blog articles BEFORE you launch will help you rank quickly An SEO audit will arm you with the information you need to create this content, like topic ideas and target keywords.
A backlog of content for visitors to explore also signals that your website is trustworthy, and cares about answering customer questions. You want to establish yourself as an authority in your industry. Writing informative, entertaining blogs is an easy way to get started with website launch SEO!
Future-Proof Your Site
Google algorithm updates come out year after year. Some small, some large. But, you can always count on Google coming up with more accurate ways to rank websites for user enjoyment.
Google recently announced a planned algorithm rollout called Google Page Experience.
Here’s the gist: if Google thinks users will have a poor experience on your site, you’ll be ranked lower. Conversely, if Google thinks users will enjoy the experience they have on your website, you’ll rank higher (yay!).
Some common questions about your website Google raise as factors in the Page Experience update:
- Is it mobile-friendly?
- Does it run on HTTPS?
- Does it load quickly?
- Does content jump around as the page is loading?
- Are there intrusive ads (i.e. a million pop-ups) present?
This update won’t go live until sometime in 2021, but one way to stay ahead of the competition is by reviewing the new Core Web Vitals report located in Google Search Console.
Website Launch SEO
There you have it, folks!
We just broke down some top tips on why your website SEO needs some love before your launch date.
Need some help?
Get in touch today to see how we can help you launch your site, rank faster on Google, and beat the competition with SEO-optimized content.
Now, it’s time to celebrate your website launch. Pass the Champs!